Sunday, July 28, 2013

On a Rant Here about SALT

A few years back,I switched from regular salt to sea salt.I am not a salt person and less of pepper too.But nothing makes me madder than going to a nice restaurant and can barely eat the food because it taste too salty.We went to a local place here and it served Mexican food.We were saying goodbye to some friends. The food wasn't bad when they brought it out,you couldn't really taste the salt then but we brought home some and heated it up and it tasted like pure salt.Geesh!

When I cook,I have learned how to use herbs and spices instead of using salt. I do slide some pepper in sometimes but I can't eat food with too much of it.Ha ha hubstead just came in and said the same thing,he's eating his portion and he said it tasted like someone just poured it on there.He is one who has to salt everything HA!It breaks my heart to see him salt his food but I don't say nothing for the sake of an argument.




When I switched from regular salt to sea salt,it made a big difference in how the food tasted and how we felt.I learned how much to put in food. So if you're on regular try sea salt for awhile.I know I don't swell up as much or feel squishy.
I'll be paying for this tomorrow.

FROM THE MAYO CLINIC
Sea salt V Regular salt
Sea salt and table salt have the same basic nutritional value, despite the fact that sea salt is often marketed as a more natural and healthy alternative. The most notable differences between sea salt and table salt are in their taste, texture and processing.

Sea salt is produced through evaporation of ocean water or water from saltwater lakes, usually with little processing. Depending on the water source, this leaves behind certain trace minerals and elements. The minerals add flavor and color to sea salt, which also comes in a variety of coarseness levels.

Table salt is typically mined from underground salt deposits. Table salt is more heavily processed to eliminate minerals and usually contains an additive to prevent clumping. Most table salt also has added iodine, an essential nutrient that helps maintain a healthy thyroid.

By weight, sea salt and table salt contain the same amount of sodium.

Regardless of which type of salt you prefer, limit total sodium to less than 2,300 milligrams a day — or 1,500 milligrams if you:
Are 51 or older
Are black
Have high blood pressure, diabetes or chronic kidney disease

How much is 1500mg of Salt? It is 3/4 of a teaspoon


Yeah I like sea salt a lot better.This may have been not too much of a rant but it still ticks me off when restaurants take perfectly good food and ruin it.Most food served is prepackaged I imagine and the salt is a preservative but dang man ease up.It's probably a good thing we don't eat out that much.

2 comments:

  1. People who eat out a lot suffer the consequences with all the salt and fat in most restaurant food. I love salt, but have managed to stop adding it to most foods. We only keep sea salt and Kosher salt here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right Uh? It kills me and you can ruin so much good food with if too much is added.I try to get people off regular salt and start eating with sea salt and they say it's too expensive,well,how much is your health worth? A canister of it goes a long way.

      Delete