Sunday, June 17, 2012

Just some things I do

Last night we ate roast from the slow cooker.The thing had been cooking all day so it was very good.Now I'm not a big salt fan ,I have slacked off it alot so I won't swell up but I added some salt to this. I got us off regular table salt to sea salt and I like it much better.Here what I put in the roast-


Carrots
Potatoes
Pearl Onions
Roast
Rosemary
Salt
Parsley
2 Cloves of garlic


That's it and although it sounds plain its good for people who can't have alot of spices.

I couldn't make biscuits to save my life if I had to til we moved here to Texas.And one morning I wanted some biscuits and sausage so I attempted to make some from the back of the flour bag that had a recipe on it. I have concluded that I should of figured this out a long time ago. They turned out perfect and my husband who says you aren't going to make hockey pucks are you ate most of them.Now I fix them when the urge strikes and they turn out good every time.

I'm on a bread kick and out of the two I made I put one in the freezer.The other is almost ate. What next do I want to learn to cook-banana bread is up next.I have a recipe for a Pueblo Pumpkin Pinion Nut Sweetbread,I tried to make it once and it was good but I didn't put the nuts in it.MMM maybe that was what was wrong.I love pumpkin and I love cooking with pine nuts but gosh they are expensive here.

here it is if anyone wants to try it.


Pueblo Pumpkin Pinion Nut Sweetbread

1-1/2 cups of flour

1 cup of pumpkin(referred to Libbys" 100% pure pumpkin-can)

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 eggs

1 tsp.baking powder

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. grated nutmeg(I guess ground would work too)

1/2 tsp. salt

3/4 cup of pine nuts

Directions-1.In the recipe you can use either cooking type pumpkin(these have necks and thick meaty bodies,not like the jack-o-lantern pumpkins)or a sweet bright orange squash,like the butternut or canned pumpkin.

Preheat oven to 350. In a mixing bowl,combine flour,salt,baking powder,brown sugar,spices. Stir in pumpkin,eggs,butter.Stir pine nuts into thick batter.Scrape into a greased 6x9 loaf pan.Bake for 1 hour or until knife comes out clean.

2.This sweetish spicy bread goes well with soups,stews,and can also be a dessert,especially if you cut it apart and put yogurt or applesauce over it.

3.Yields one loaf.

If you of you tries this let me know how it turns out!



Now during Thanksgiving and Christmas I make Pumpkin Pies a lot(another thing I did not know how to make)I guess Texas just puts the cooking spirit into you.My husband is the cake baker so between the two of us we do good lol.I am the type of person to try new things.After all if you don't like it,you don't have to eat it Right?But most things I try are pretty good. Since I have gotten older I stay away from spicy foods but I still like a good bowl of chili on a cold day.When you're young your body can tolerate stuff when you get older I think it backfires on you lol.


Well I want to wish all the fathers out there a Happy Fathers Day!Hope you are with your families and having a great time.



No comments:

Post a Comment